Helping You Become a Homeowner
The City of Spartanburg is pleased to provide assistance for families and households for the purchase of homes in the City to occupy as their primary residence, using Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME Partnership Grant Funds, or First Time Homebuyer funds.
Assistance is in the form of a 5-year deferred loan with 0% interest, reduced by 20% per year, reverting to a grant if all program conditions are met. This program is administered by the City of Spartanburg Neighborhood Services Division and Community Works Carolina. Should you have any questions pertaining to this application, please contact the Neighborhood Services Division at 864-596-3560. A link to the application is provided below.
Home Purchase Assistance Information
- Maximum purchase assistance up to $5,000 is available for eligible applicants up to the maximum income limits as determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- The purchase price of homes in the City of Spartanburg cannot exceed HUD Limits. Funds cannot be used for any repairs. City staff will inspect the home for compliance with the International Property Maintenance Codes.
- Homebuyers are required to request a 3rd party home inspection prior to the purchase of any property.
- All applicants must be pre-approved by a lender. The City does not have an approved lenders list.
- Applications will be accepted during the open enrollment period or until sufficient applications are received.
- Funds are available on a first-come, first-qualified, first-served basis. Priority will be made for homebuyers purchasing homes in the Beaumont, Highland, Northside, and South Converse communities.
- Income certifications are valid for 6 months.
- Applicants may use any realtor of their choice. The City also recommends applicants seek competent legal advice.
You can also contact the following groups for information about affordable homes view the resource directory for homeownership.